Fox News - Fair & Balanced

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 as of 11:14 AM ET

Search Site

FOX News Weather Blog
  • Day 2

Hello everyone!

Day 2 is a little easier than Day 1 back to work, but it was still tough leaving my little man this morning. Your comments and encouragement here have been so inspiring and comforting. Thank you for your kindness and endless support!

I’m still a little shell-shocked, and am trying to get used to being back at the weather wall. I have to put away my maternity clothes (and insert the “transitional” outfits since I’m still not the size I was pre-preggo! HA!) so that’s on the “to-do” list. Wenchie – thanks for posting that video of my “debut” on America’s Newsroom yesterday. I find it a little hard to watch myself on tv, but I did have a peak, and thought I held it together better than I thought I would! (Here’s the link incase you haven’t seen it – courtesy of our friend Johnny Dollar)

Also wanted to post a few other links for you to take a peak at. Our friend Tracy has a website where you can take a look at her little boy Mason which you can check out here. He is ADORABLE Tracy!!

mason

And one of my good friends and co-workers , Jennifer Griffin, who just had a little boy Luke a few weeks ago is profiled in Parents Magazine. Jennifer gave me so much support and advice during my pregnancy and afterwards. She is the real deal – beautiful, smart, funny and so nice. The magazine did a great profile on her, Luke and family life. You can read it here

ss_jennifergriffin12

And finally, I guess we should talk weather right? It’s pretty nasty for much of the country from the NW to the Plain States and the East Coast. The storm prediction center has issued a “slight risk” of severe weather from the Gulf Coast to the Carolinas, and then a ” moderate risk” for southern Oklahoma and Northern Texas. You can check out the latest watches and warnings here…plenty of rain, with the possibility for hail, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes through this evening. And unfortunately, this weather pattern will remain in place for the rest of the week! YUCK! (please don’t shoot the messenger!) :)

Ok. I think that covers what I wanted to share with you guys! Hope all is well, and I promise to try and respond to your comments tomorrow! :)

Janice

Tracy

Thanks for posting my blog! Glad day 2 went better than day 1 :) It'll get easier with time!

May 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Glen Kosierowski

Missed you greatly! I learned to appreciate weather from a fellow out of Chicago - John Coleman of WLS TV. No one came close to his explanations of weather --till there was you. I had been working overnights for Sam's Club and am thrilled to have you return! Please don't go down the guilt road of a working mother because as great a gift a child is to a mother so is your talent for reading weather patterns and possible consequences the news forgets to consider! God has blessed you and us all. Keep safe and take care. Glen Kosierowski Fountain Hills, AZ (town to the east of Scottsdale)

May 6, 2009 at 11:30 am

Wenchie

Well I can't speak to what is normal weather for you guys who live more south of me.... But this cool, damp, drizzly weather that we have been experiencing up here for a week or so is actually typical for us for early May....I cant even begin to tell you how many cold and wet Mother's Day's weekends I have spent at work bundled up....and it looks like it will hold true for this Mother's Day as well... For us we dont normally get the beautiful and gorgeous spring weather until later in May... So I wont complain since for us it is expected here in Souther New England..... And...my lawn is a deep lush green...and I havent had to worry about watering in the plants I have planted :D

May 6, 2009 at 9:55 am

Gwen in Mississippi

Mornin' everybody! It's dreary here too, but we've not received nearly the rain we needed. Most of the rain has split and gone north or south of us. If it's going to be dreary, I'd just as soon we got some rain out of it. We still badly need it in our area. My brain is tired this morning, so I have no thoughts to put to paper this morning (or to blog as the case may be). Will check back later. :/ Gwen

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 am

Cathy McEwen

WELCOME BACK,JANICE!! You have been greatly missed. Sorry to take a couple of days to say,"you go girl". You did a super job holding together Monday-it hurts leaving the little ones! And Tuesday, & I'm here today also,well for a little while on the computer. We have had tornado warnings here in Ragland,Alabama (St.Clair county) for the past 4 days.Thank God no real damage to report other than a few trees down. We stay off the computer during these storms,which have been producing ALOT of rain & that slow rolling thunder that you think will blow your eardrums out. We are gearing up again today,but I wanted to check in & tell you Janice, we are all still pulling for you & praying for you & precious Matthew & his nanny, & let's not leave out his daddy!! Janice...since your back, how about try to get rid of these storms-if anyone can...Weather Machine,we love ya

May 6, 2009 at 9:40 am

TnDeb

Morning! No Sun here again! We are covered up with Rain..for the next few days. I may have to go on anti-depressants. I hope someone has sunshine :) Deb

May 6, 2009 at 9:19 am

Don in Richmond

I'm getting there Margie. I can raise my arm almost to a 45 degree angle. I start phase 2 of the PT in a half hour. Today will be the first time I will move the arm, how I don't know yet. The island in the middle of the pond is completely gone from all the rain.

May 6, 2009 at 9:15 am

Margie Gacki

Hey Don, we've had rain every day but one since about April 27th. The only good thing is that it is supposed to be warmer the next couple days. I can handle a warm rain easier than a cold rain. It's easier on my bad knees. I hope the weather isn't bothering your shoulder and that you're getting better each day. Margie

May 6, 2009 at 9:06 am

Don in Richmond

We are into our 3rd day of rain in Richmond with no end in site for the next few days.

May 6, 2009 at 9:00 am

Margie Gacki

Good morning everyone, Greetings from foggy Cumberland. It's foggy and damp and not very nice but at least it's not raining! The rain that moved through yesterday afternoon just in time for my trip home from work dumped over 1/4 in. of rain in a little over an hour. There were rivers of water flowing down the sides of the streets as I made my way home. I stayed off the highway and drove through town yesterday because people drive too fast in the heavy rain and I don't like that. Hey Janice, I hope things are getting easier for you each day and that everyone is adjusting to a new way of life. We love having you back! I hope everyone has a great day and that the sun is shining on someone on this blog because it certainly hasn't been around here for a long time! Margie

May 6, 2009 at 7:28 am

Guillaume

OK I won't complain about the sad weather here in NYC haha!!! Love Jennifer Griffin! Like Dawn - & George & Gina & Gwen - already said, a real pro who reported from a complex - and at times dangerous - part of the world. Like everyone else, I didn't even know she already had a family!!! That's fantastic. Janice you're doing REALLY grrreat. So glad you are back!!! :) bisous multiples Guillaume

May 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Peter Plumley

Wrong url for the site, try this folks. www.makeitseven.ca

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Peter Plumley

Hi everyone :) You looked lovely as always JD. :) That is wonderful news for Jennifer, never knew much about her till now. Always thought she did a great job covering some of those places she's been before. When you see her coming on to do her segment you know it's going to be something worth knowing newswise. Tony, picking on the lady weather machine blogger? :) You know we're outnumbered on here. haha On weather related news, a nice day in the OV. :) Spent most of it inside doing work, but did manage to tear down a horrible old fence that was partly falling down, now what to do with the wood. As former President G.W. Bush said during a debate when he was informed he owned a interest in a lumber company, " want to buy some lumber" In Canadian NHL Hockey news, the Phoenix Coyotes have filed for Chapter 11 protection, and RIM CEO/Co-founder/Director Jim Balsillie has offered 212 Million US for the team, move it to southern Ontario Canada. If the leadership of the NHL one Mr. Bettman would allow this to happen, it would be good for the country, good for the NHL as Balsillie is a man who knows a thing or two about business. Rim as a number of people might know is the maker of the Blackberry! So if some other Canadians and also any people from the US would like to see another team in Canada go to www.makeitseven..ca Hey Don, tell everyone you know, sign up for updates etc. I'm told the site is just being rocked by traffic.

May 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Cherie KY

oh JD, i thought on day 2, you looked great! I loved the outfit! God Bless

May 5, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Tony Williams, Author, "Hurricane of Independence"

O, good grief! Now I'm picking on the ladies! Funny, I thought you were picking on me on the last thread. Oh well, I'm used to my wife turning things on me and getting me in trouble! Double bags! (A mild oath I picked up in a clean fantasy novel.) Bags ~ I like that curse. Give it a whirl! Tony

May 5, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Gina

Janice, I'm so glad Day 2 was better! It's great there are alot of women there at Fox who've been there done that, I hope you get lots of encouragement from them. Thanks so much for sharing the picture and article about Jennifer Griffen. I have always been impressed by her work, she's a gutsy gal! Here's to an even better Day 3. :) Tony, stop picking on us girls, we're delicate flowers!! ;)

May 5, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Tony Williams, Author, "Hurricane of Independence"

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Bags!

May 5, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Clarence and A.J.DeYoung

Hello Everyone and of course JD Boy, is it great now each day to wait and watch for the Weather Machine, wonder if you will ever be again with Shep....he is something. Thank you so much for that beautiful picture of Jennifer and her family what a lovely family she has and we were so happy when she came back to the USA. Don't know who or how Fox picks their folks but they are such a great group of folks, professional and warm to their views, feel like it must surely be like a large Fox family all over the areas for them. You did good today Janice, so happy to hear it is was a bit better and we sure will be thinking of you enjoying your first of many, many Mother's Days. Our best to all, Clare and AJ

May 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Margie Gacki

Hey Gang, I have one more comment to make since this is a weather blog. Actually I want to whine a little. Except for April 30th, it has rained every day for more than a week now. I thought today we might be able to escape with no rain--wishful thinking! I'm in the hospital where I have no windows in the library and I just looked out the door at the end of the hallway to see the skies are getting dark. I just checked the radar and there's a big batch of rain getting ready to dump on us--just in time for quitting time. It looks like the heavy part will be here just in time for when I get off at 4:30. I was smart, however and brought an umbrella since I knew what the forecast was. I hope the water level in the Potomac River went down during the day because it didn't have too far to go to reach flood stage yesterday. Before I moved to Cumberland they did an extensive flood control project on Wills Creek (in the downtown area), which enters into the Potomac. Except for 1996 (I think) we haven't had any really major floods since I've been here. I do remember that one and it was scary. I saw a picnic table up in a tree along the creek after that flash flood. The water reached right up to the bridges going over the creek downtown and many homes were destroyed in a low-lying area outside of town. It's amazing how powerful water can be. Hopefully we won't have to experience anything like that for a long time. I'm out of space so I'll say goodbye for now. Margie

May 5, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Margie Gacki

Yikes Gwen! You certainly were on a roll, weren't you?? I guess we all were on a roll today. Can we blame it on the weather? I don't know what your weather has been like but I'm really tired of all the rain we've gotten over the past week and I think my brain is a little soggy. That might explain my silliness, but I can't speak for yours! Hey Tony, don't "yell" at us girls. You were the one who started it! You have to be careful what you say because we're impressionable "young" people who pick things up easily! OK. I guess I better get back to work before this silliness gets anymore out of hand than it already is. Have a great afternoon everyone! As Deb would say--later taters! Margie

May 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm

about this blog

• Janice Dean joined FOX News Channel in January 2004 and currently serves as Senior meteorologist. She is a member of the American Meteorological Society and was awarded the AMS Seal of Approval in 2009. Dean is the author of the forthcoming children's book, "Freddy the Frogcaster" (Regnery Kids) which will be published in August. You can also follow Janice on Twitter.