Fox News - Fair & Balanced

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 as of 11:14 AM ET

Search Site

FOX News Weather Blog
  • Good news: Spring...Bad News: tornadoes!

Hi everyone.

Terrifying video coming out of Oklahoma yesterday as there were a couple of tornadoes reported on the ground, doing some major damage.  Here’s the story from the AP, and thankfully no one was hurt.

(AP)  At least five homes and a barn owned by the county government were destroyed and other structures were damaged Monday by a large tornado in the western Oklahoma town of Hammon.

No injuries were reported with the storm, Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management spokeswoman Michelann Ooten said. Besides the five homes that were destroyed, the roofs of several other houses were blown off, and power lines were down throughout the area, Ooten said.

“It really skirted the southeast corner and missed the population center,” Roger Mills County Sheriff Joe Hay said. “We had lots of warning. Our local storm spotters and the Hammon fire department were on top of the tornado before it got started.”

The barn – a large metal building – housed some vehicles and other equipment that belonged to Roger Mills County, officials said.

CBS News affiliate NEWS 9’s storm tracker Val Castor reported a tornado on the ground about 9 miles north of Elk City around 5:17 p.m., about 110 miles west of Oklahoma City. According to Castor, the tornado was on the ground for about 20 minutes, traveling across open countryside before reaching Hammon, about 15 miles to the north.

Allene Bottom, who lives on a farm near Hammon, watched the storm as it approached.

“It’s a mess,” Bottom said by telephone. “They have people up there stopping people from going in to town.”

The tornado was part of a large weather system tracking through the Plains.

John Pike, a meteorologist in the National Weather Service’s Norman office, said an average of four tornadoes are reported in March in Oklahoma, but Monday’s tornado was larger than what is typically seen this time of year.

“We are starting to get near spring, and get a clashing of the air masses along with more moisture from the south. That’s what is really the fuel for the storms.”

There was no immediate confirmation of additional tornadoes.

And the video:

We have the threat for more tornadoes tomorrow from the Ozarks to the lower Missouri Vally, the Arklatex and along the Central Gulf Coast.   Unfortunately as we get into April and May, the potential of severe weather gets higher.

I’ll get in and respond to some of your comments in a little bit!

jd

Margie Gacki

Hi pjman, We only have 41 degrees right now but it is supposed to warm up this afternoon. The clouds are giving way and I see more blue sky and sun but rain is in our forecast. We need a good rain to wash the salt off of everything. Hopefully the rain we get won't be too heavy, though. That's not good. I hope you have a great day. Margie

March 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

pjman

Good morning everybody. It's quit on the blog. It's 53 right now and sunny oh boy spring is on the way. hope we don't get to much rain this weekend. Hope all are doing good.

March 10, 2010 at 9:08 am

Tracy Negron

That tornado was about 2 1/2 hours north of me! I'm so terrified that I'm gonna get swept away while I'm here in Oklahoma haha Only 2 1/2 months until we are out of here and onto California! Of course, then I have to worry about earthquakes haha

March 10, 2010 at 1:22 am

A.J. DeYoung

Deb...you sound like me and right now I am inudated??? with weeds everywhere ..never use to have any weeks....I hate weeds....and it has been to wet to get them,,I did one patch and before it dried up and I could get out there again...more came. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Gwen...yes they volunteered after Katrina, it was a lady who shelters cats with no homes and many of them came from Katrina...they were there 2 different times for 3 months at a time and they are coming here 4/4 for a month and then may go there again....they loveddddddd waffle house... Gwen..it is cold like that here today and I have been under the blankie most of the day and in my snuggies and cozies. Have a good evening folks .xoAJ

March 9, 2010 at 6:31 pm

pjman

Boy is it quiet here today. It's 53 here rain for the weekend. I'm not sure which is better snow and sun or rain and yuk. Hope all have a good night. Don prayers are with ya.

March 9, 2010 at 5:46 pm

DoninRichmond

67 here, started out at 29 this morning. A year ago today it was 89 according to the local weather.

March 9, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Gwen in Mississippi

Afternoon JD, We've had off and on heavy rain today. A dreary day in general. Makes me just want to curl up on my couch under a blankie. Oh well, that's not gonna happen...too much to do. We do have the possibility of some stronger storms/tornadoes tonight. (PJ, be very glad you don't have to deal with tornadoes. They're no fun.) How weird that it's warmer in NYC today than in Meridian, MS!!! We will be warming up all too soon. Then I'll be wishing for a snow day again! AJ, You asked me about Picayune, MS. I'm not too familiar with Picayune. It's located very near the Gulf Coast...not right on the Gulf, but maybe one county up. Also closer to New Orleans than to me. It takes me around 3 hrs to get to the Gulf from where I am. Were your friends there after Katrina? Alot of devastation down that way after she hit...lots of folks from other areas volunteering their time. Watched a little of the Oscars the other night. All-in-all, pretty boring. Sandra Bullock did look divine, and I was very glad she won. 'Nuff said on that subject. Hello to all you bloggers out there. Hope all are having a good day! Must run. Work to do. Gwen ;)

March 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Tn~Deb

Hey Janice and Y'all, We've had sunshine and warm temps today...68 to be exact. But there is rain coming in from the west later on this evening. Hopefully nothing severe. I did a little yard work...some raking and picking up....I can't stand seeing a little bitty scrap of paper or anything in the yard. I know I probably have issues...but it really bugs me! JD..looking forward to seeing the latest pics/video of your little sweet pea. Have a great afternoon, Deb

March 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

A.J. DeYoung

Hi Janice and Everyone, Brrrrr 30 MPH winds here and 55 degrees which for us and with the wind is brisk, but beatuiful blue skies and pretty cloud formations....from our new dogpark, view of ocean and mountains.....fresh air...........ahhhhhhh. Being from Missouri don't miss being afraid of tormadoes all the time, but we have even had those warnings here not long ago....everything it is a changin. Thoughts today and prayers to you Don. Getting excited to see those videos and more pictures of Matthew, and his Mommy and Daddy...please, please us lots of them.....we have been in a long dry spell......ya hear!!! AJ

March 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm

pjman

Hi Janice It's 53 and sunny here. I don't think we have ever had a tornado in my area. You look good in red. Can't wait to see Matthew Videos of him walking. You are going to have your hands full. Put everything up high if you don't want him to get it. Just think Matthew will be your own personal trainer sine you will be running after him. Have a good day.

March 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

about this blog

• Janice Dean joined FOX News Channel in January 2004 and currently serves as Senior meteorologist. She is a member of the American Meteorological Society and was awarded the AMS Seal of Approval in 2009. Dean is the author of the forthcoming children's book, "Freddy the Frogcaster" (Regnery Kids) which will be published in August. You can also follow Janice on Twitter.